Sunday, May 1, 2011

SPAIN 2011 - Que me quiten lo bailao

'Nobody can take away the good times I've had' - and indeed, Spain have had some fine moments in the ESC. Not so much recently. But still. Hope springs eternal.

Unlike some countries, Spain seem to mostly be doing the same thing over and over again. At least in recent years that's been the rule. A dancey pop tune with a high tempo beat. Last year and in 2008 they veered a little off the set course, and did a little bit better than with the dance numbers ... but not a lot better. If it wasn't for the Big Four rule - OK, Big Five :-) - I don't think Spain would have set foot in the final, metaphorically speaking, for ... going on a decade now, quite possibly. o_O

I'm not sure why that is ... I mean, why they keep sending such samey songs. Is this really what Spanish audiences prefer? If it is, then I guess they're getting what they want. But I'm always hoping to see something new from Spain. Something really different. Sure, that approach can easily fail too. But at least it keeps the contest interesting. This is absolutely anything but.

This is IMO the most boring entry this year. The singer's young and pretty, that's really the only positive thing I can say about it. She doesn't have a very good voice, the song is devoid of any kind of personality and the performance is totally standard. Of course they won't end up with nothing - they can always rely on Portugal for a few pity points - but I'm picturing a really shitty result for Spain this year. I wish I could be sympathetic, but they deserve it.

This is Lucia Perez performing Que me quiten lo bailao by Rafael Artesero Herrero. I like his name, but that's about it. He'll be competing for Spain on Saturday, May 14th.


Widescreen here.

Lyrics here.

No comments: