Monday, May 2, 2011

ISRAEL 2011 - Ding Dong

I love Israel's song from last year ... and I love their song from last time they won. So I was intrigued to hear that their entry this year would be performed by the same singer as in 1998, the hotly debated Dana International. I was hoping for the best. But alas, I was disappointed.

This song has nothing of the fire of Diva, and none of its catchy rhythm. This is sort of a ballad speeded up. But it has no hook and no personality. I can hum along to it while I'm listening it, but as soon as it's done I forget it. It is soo harmless and bland ... a very disappointing effort. I don't know what they're thinking we're supposed to like about this ... ?

As for Dana herself, it's been 13 years, so of course her voice will have deteriorated ... and it has, audibly so. Her voice is much weaker now. That too showing much less personality. She doesn't look that much older, but a pretty face just can't make up for the weaknesses of this song. The performance is also very dull. I'm not sure what they think they're going for. It's all totally standard and totally bland. Vanilla. :-) This will fade into the background as soon as the music fades out.

Basically I don't know what the Israelis were thinking when they picked this song. That it would be good enough because it's Dana? I like it that she's written the song herself - there aren't that many female contestants in the ESC (remembering, of course, that it's the composers and lyricists that are competing, not the singers :-) - but that's pretty much all I like about it. I predict a sad fate for Israel on stage in Germany. Ouch. :-)

This is Dana International performing her own composition Ding Dong (I know ...). She will be competing for Israel on Thursday, May 12th.


Widescreen here.

Lyrics here.

No comments: