Saturday, April 2, 2011

UNITED KINGDOM 2011 - I Can

It's childish, I know, but the first thing I think about every time I hear or see this song mentioned is always The League of Gentlemen. I can I can't? I can I can't?? I CAN I CAN'T??! I'm a fan, what can I say. They've messed with my mind.

Anyway ... be that as it may ... this post is not about the LoG, but about the UK song for this year. Which, surprisingly, does not completely suck. Who'd have thought it? I certainly needed to see this before believing it. But I would like to go on record as saying that this year I do think that the UK ESC entry does not totally suck ass. It's a step in the right direction for the UK, if nothing else.

Unfortunately, there isn't much else beyond that. The entry is performed by a reformed boy band and it sounds totally like a boy band song. If you like that kind of thing, I suppose it's alright by you, but personally I think it's as dull as dishwater. Most boy band songs are one big yawn - however, they are sometimes annoyingly catchy. This one isn't, though. It's just annoying. This song has something of the same problem as the Irish entry - there isn't much difference between the verse and the chorus, which has the effect of creating a kind of wall of sound impression which makes the song enervating to listen to. I'm not sure I can really explain it, but that's the effect it has. It makes the entire song annoying ... you don't know when it's going to end, there are few signals to let you work out where in the song you are. And if you don't like the verse, there's nothing more to look forward to either, because it all sounds the same. o_O

This song could be a hit for a boy band - in fact I think it already is - but I don't think it has much of a chance in the ESC. It's just too bland. It has zero personality. It doesn't stand out in any way whatsoever. I have no idea how they think anyone will remember this enough to vote for it. Or remember it at all. It's the kind of song that you forget while you're still listening to it. It could work in a different setting, but I don't think at all that this is what ESC audiences are looking for. Maybe they're thinking that the band - I use this term loosely - will bring in votes just for being who they are? I don't know how big they are, and were, around Europe, so I can't really offer any perspective on that. It may work. But I don't think it'll be enough with a song this weak. The UK will probably bomb again, IMO. But see what you think. This is Blue performing I can* by ... some of them and some other guys. A whole bunch of them. This gaggle of guys will compete for the UK on Saturday, May 14th.



Widescreen here.

Lyrics here.

*I CAN I CAN'T!!?

1 comment:

pipsa said...

One of them takes a leak at ATM and gets caught on camera, another one gets caught cheating his gf..two more to go before ESC.