Friday, April 29, 2011

UKRAINE 2011 - Angel

Isn't it annoying when some other country ends up choosing the wrong song in their national selections, and there's nothing you can do about it? The Swedes did that in 2007, and I still haven't gotten over it. Now the Ukrainians did it this year. I wanted this song to win in Ukraine this year. Sure, her dress needs a little nip and tuck, the performance is kind of overblown sometimes, and I don't know what the deal is with that thing on her head, but the song ... it's the song that counts. Mostly. :-) And this song is lovely ... and nowhere near as crazy-looking as the one that actually won. o_O

But alas, wishes don't always come true. And I guess there isn't all that much wrong with the entry they did choose. It's just ... I don't know, I can hardly focus on the song, the presentation gets totally in the way for me. Those dancing boys dressed as angels, and carrying mirrors ... and so much body makeup ... I'm sorry, it just messes up the whole thing. And with those lyrics, brrr ... it would have been so much better if they'd have kept them in Russian. At least then I could have hoped they were a little less ... profound ... than they are now revealed to be. Those lyrics + that presentation = bad idea. If I were writing this in Norwegian, I would be using the adjective overtydelig right about now. Oh well. They may end up changing it for all I know. I hope they do.

This song isn't all that bad, it could have been both worse and better, but I think it's too anonymous to do well in Düsseldorf. And the presentation is just completely distracting. Thumbs down for Ukraine.

If you're thinking that this singer has pretty lousy pronunciation considering her name, don't worry. 'Tain't her real name, as Baldrick would say. Wasn't it Baldrick?

Oh well. This is Mika Newton, so-called, performing Angel by Maryna Skomorohova and Ruslan Kvinta. They will be competing for the Ukraine on Thursday, May 12th.


Widescreen here.

Lyrics here.

No comments: