Tuesday, April 5, 2011

FINLAND 2011 - Da Da Dam

Some people don't like it that participants have been able to choose language freely for the past thirteen years - most entries are in English now, and some people feel that this takes away from the entertainment value the contest used to have, back when everyone had to sing in their own unwieldy language.

Personally I don't see it that way at all. I love the freer language rules we have now. Without them, we would never get to experience songs like this one. [Peter] likes to sit under an apple tree on his yard/and wait for an apple to fall. What's not to love??

Well, this song, possibly. Although I'm not sure I'm entirely qualified to judge, because this is totally not my style of song. Ie, whatever any song of this type was like, I probably wouldn't be a fan. I suppose that if you like this kind of thing, this song is rather sweet. It does have a nice melody. I like that the song isn't just about the usual boy meets girl kind of thing ... it has a message, the writer is actually trying to say something. So points for that. The singer has an unusual voice, I kind of like that too. Belgium did surprisingly well with a song in this vein last year - they came sixth - so Finland may turn out to be something of a dark horse this year, low key as this song is. I would be less surprised this year. :-)

This is Paradise Oskar - yeah, I know ... - performing Da Da Dum by Axel Ehnström, who will be competing for Finland on Tuesday, May 10th. Good luck, Finland!!



Widescreen here.

Lyrics here.

1 comment:

pipsa said...

This is the moment in the show when the whole Europe can pay a visit to the loo/fridge or have a ciggie. Nothing to be ashamed here nor nothing to cheer for. Put this and Sweden's Eric Saade on stage and other one will fade to grey...*yawn*