Wednesday, April 6, 2011

BELGIUM 2011 - With Love Baby

And now something rather out of the ordinary - an ESC song without music. o_O It rather sounds like it has music, but it doesn't. It's completely a cappella. This isn't the first time someone's sent an a cappella entry to the ESC - if my memory serves me it is the second. Latvia did it first, in 2006. They didn't do very well. But that was probably because that song was so annoying.

I don't mean to indicate that a cappella is bad in and of itself. This entry is much better than I Hear Your Heart. I actually kind of like it. It's not strong enough to seriously compete in the top, and it does get somewhat repetitive when you've listened to it a few times ... but it does have a pretty good melody. I don't think the a cappella gimmick is enough to sell it, though. But it's not too shabby. :-) The one thing I really can't stand about it is the performance, which is beyond boring. They're going to have to do something with that. If they don't, I don't think they'll be making it through to the final. It depends partly on the competition too, of course. This song may be too low key to stand up against the more typical ESC song. :-)

But good luck to Belgium, anyway. This is Witloof Bay performing With Love Baby by RoxorLoops/Senjka Danhieux and Benoît Giaux. They are both band members, so this is a case of performers actually competing, which I always like. They will be competing for Belgium on Thursday, May 12th.



Widescreen here.

Lyrics here.

No comments: