Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The report is in

Which report, you say? Why, this one. The report commissioned by the Food Authority from the Science Committee for Food Safety, the scientific body they get their facts from. It's been eagerly awaited ... the report, I mean. My community - the reptile geeks - have been very anxious to see it. It's kind of the be all and end all for us ... at least for quite a while. The FA want to change the regulations on the reptile issue, they want the ban to end, but they need scientific facts to back that decision. The herpetological association has given the Science Committee a list of 31 species that should be allowed - species that are easy to keep, aren't dangerous to humans and don't pose a threat to our fauna. This report is the verdict on that. And ... it's mostly positive. I was pleasantly surprised. There are a couple of things that I would have changed in the info on the species that is my primary interest here - Chinemys reevesii, of course - but overall I think it looks really good and that the conclusion is positive.

I was going to write a post about the debate today surrounding this, and refute some of the ridiculous things the animal rights people are saying, but I just don't have the energy. I feel a lot better today (which, alas, didn't take much ;-) but I'm still not exactly bursting with energy. Maybe tomorrow. :-)

But in any case, if you want to take part in the discussion on this issue, read the report. If you don't, you will disqualify yourself from having an opinion. And if you're one of those 'animals are people too' folks, please be aware that it may not say what you think it says.

No comments: