Friday, October 22, 2010

The problem with prequels ...

... is that you already know that the bad guy will win in the end. :-)

I wasn't sure that I was going to see Cold Prey III, I actually thought I wouldn't, but, well, things happen. KAS and I went to see it tonight and it was ... good entertainment. Quality craftsmanship for its genre, and nowhere near as speculative as it could have been. Plus of course that any movie is good at Colosseum 1. :-) But the tag line still annoys me. The end has been told. The beginning approaches. WTF? Yes, I know what they're saying, but it still sounds like nonsense.

In other movie news, I am now pretty psyched about two movies I wasn't that interested in before, after hearing that a couple of names have been confirmed. First, Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins in The Hobbit. OMG that is perfect!!1 Whee!! I haven't been very excited about this movie because, well, I'm not a Tolkien fan and I didn't like the LotR movies much ... they were pretty good up to the ending of The Return of the King, which literally ruined the entire trilogy. Now they're shit. Fuck 'em. But Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins!! Now that I just have to see. He is soo adorable, especially in The Office, and I think he'll be a fantastic Bilbo. Psyched to see The Hobbit now ... ! :-D

But even more psyched - ten times more!! - to see The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. The remake, I mean. Sure, it's probably going to suck. Remakes are pointless and stupid and almost always suck. Plus I won't get to see the leads I would have wanted, and who I'm sure would have been much better than what they'll be giving us. Seriously, picture this. Katherine Moennig and David Duchovny. Seriously, they would have been perfect! Now we're getting Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig. Sheesh. But of course it could have been worse. Don't get me started. ;-) And in one case it couldn't have been better! Because, get this, they have got Christopher Plummer for Henrik Vanger!! Christopher Plummer!! I LOVE Christopher Plummer! He was almost the best thing in The Lake House. ;-) I was going to see this movie anyway just because I am such a fangirl and I have to see it even though it's probably going to suck ass and it's definitely going to be utterly pointless, but now I'm actually excited to see it. Who'da thunk it. :-D

Go Christopher Plummer ... !!!! :-D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaah, so it's a prequel! Then I understand that slogan, 'the trilogy begins'... I've been thinking it was ridiculously bad language - someone who thought 'trilogy' is a word for the third installment or something - since I couldn't for the life of me figure out how a trilogy could begin with number three :) But now it actually makes sense - I'm almost a bit disappointed...

You are probably not surprised that I haven't seen a single one of these films ;)

Leisha Camden said...

To the point that this can make sense, yeah, it does make sense. :-D

No, I am not surprised, in fact I have to say quite categorically that these are not the movies for you ... ! ;-)