Sunday, April 25, 2010

BELGIUM 2010 - Me and My Guitar

Ah, Belgium ... poor Belgium. They have three official languages, but because of their endless internal bickering they can hardly decide which one to use these days. So is it better to use English or to just make up some new language? :-D

This year they've gone with English, anyway. The singer may sound English too, but he's not ... he is Flemish, and his unlikely-sounding last name is only a stage name. Rather obviously, I'd say. The song is ... kind of cute. The lyrics are unfortunate, but the melody is sweet and may stand out. His voice is good, unusual, I'd say. Again something that may stand out. It's hard to do well with a ballad, though, so I don't know. The lyrics get stupider every time I hear them, too. If this song had been in Flemish or French I might have liked it a lot. The tune is by far the strongest point this song has.

Belgium goes on as #10 in the first semifinal. I don't know that that slot will be a good thing for this song. I think it depends on the other entries, how good they are (ie, not very good so far ;-) ... but this song may end up not doing very well, I suspect. It is possibly too low key to stick in people's minds very much, I think.

This is Tom Dice performing Me and My Guitar which he cowrote with Ashley Hicklin and Jeroen Swinnen. They will be competing for Belgium on May 25th.



Lyrics here.

And now, an old joke!!

Last month a world-wide survey was conducted by the UN.
The only question asked was: "Would you please give your honest opinion about solutions to the food shortage in the rest of the world?"
The survey was a huge failure because of the following:
1. In Eastern Europe they didn't know what "honest" meant.
2. In Western Europe they didn't know what "shortage" meant.
3. In Africa they didn't know what "food" meant.
4. In China they didn't know what "opinion" meant.
5. In the Middle East they didn't know what "solution" meant.
6. In South America they didn't know what "please" meant.
7. In the USA they didn't know what "the rest of the world" meant.
8. In Australia they hung up as soon as they heard the Indian accent.

No comments: