Monday, March 8, 2010

Congratulations on ... ooh!!

Today is the International Women's Day - congratulations to all my female readers! - and I had a bunch of deep thoughts to share on the subject. How the situation is so terrible for women in Afghanistan and how lucky I am to be Scandinavian, and some mean-spirited remarks about the Oscars ... I suppose these last can best be summed up like so:

Best movie my shiny metal ass. But anyway. I had some real serious thoughts too. I did! I was going to write a v. serious blog post today, or at least mostly. But then all these deep & profound thoughts were driven out of my head when I stopped by SVT1, the main state-owned TV channel in Sweden ... I was going to record the rerun of the semifinal of their ESC selections. ;-) Just before the show started, they had one of their little non-commercials. Just informing us of what they've got in store for us. And boy, have they got something in store ... !! :-o

Everything you didn't get to see at the movies ... !! :-o Stieg Larsson's Millennium trilogy, now on TV!! OMG OMG OMG!!!!1! Starting March 20th. I tremble in anticipation!! Although I'm not sure I should be doing that, because right now it looks like it's going to be six 90-minute episodes, and that doesn't mean a whole lot of extra material, does it ... ? But who cares?? MUST SEE ... !!!1 I just reread The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, and I just have to say, it's a hell of a story. If you haven't already read it, get hold of a copy. It really is as good as everyone says.

Speaking of which, the Americans are working on a remake of the first movie even as we speak. Oh, how I loathe Hollywood sometimes. OK, a lot of the time. Like right now. Stupid Americans who are too lazy to read subtitles so perfectly good movies have to be ruined for the rest of us! Growl. Rumor has it that Kristen Stewart is going to be cast as Lisbeth Salander. Or whatever dumbass name they're going to think up for her. Oh, the pain, the pain of it all!! But of course, one does wonder - on a day like today and so forth - what Keanu would be like as Mikael Blomkvist ... ;-)

2 comments:

Paz said...

congratulations to your female readers for.....being women? not much of a choice in that one, unless they had a gender change ;P. Teasing BTW.
ITA agree on Avatar and Hollywood, one of the stories I enjoyed about a foreign film release in the US was the 'Madness of King George III' had to be changed to the 'Madness of King George' becauce Americans wouldn't go to see it because they missed the first two films!

Leisha Camden said...

I know, I heard that too. Pretty mindboggling. Did you also hear that one of the follow-up movies to The Commitments, I don't remember the title, had to be shown in the US with subtitles, because American viewers couldn't understand the Irish accents ... ? Gotta laugh!! :-D