Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Books I've read in 2010 - March

Slepe rundt på døde dyr by Hans Sande
Menn som hater kvinner by Stieg Larsson – AUDIO
The Complete Phantom of the Opera by George Perry
Duty and Desire by Pamela Aidan
Ved elven Massacre by Edwidge Danticat
The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters by GW Dahlquist
Stalingrad by Antony Beevor – AUDIO
Geek Love by Katherine Dunn
Swastika Night by Katharine Burdekin
Fred & Rose by Howard Sounes
Åndenes hus by Isabel Allende – AUDIO
The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman (Penguin 60)
Veien følger hjertet by Iselin B Alvestad – AUDIO
Affliction by Russell Banks
Kurtby by Erlend Loe - AUDIO
Musketerene tyve år etter, volume 1 by Alexandre Dumas

11 printed books, 3,204 pages.
5 audiobooks, 61h 11m.

Favorite fiction:
Ooh, how can I pick just one ... !! I've read so many good books this month. Seriously, there are so many wonderful books on this list. But since I absolutely have to choose one I think I have to say Swastika Night. It's a disturbing vision of a Europe in which the Nazis have won WWII ... more than six hundred years ago. Thousand year Reich, anyone? o_O Burdekin imagines what kind of society would have developed and what twists and turns history would have taken. What is so impressive is that she wrote the book in the mid-1930s. :-o George Orwell, eat your heart out.

Favorite nonfiction:
Not a lot to choose from this month. I guess Stalingrad. Vivid descriptions of horrific sufferings recited in the melodious voice of Duc Mai-The, what's not to like?

Favorite audio:
Should I say The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo ... ?? It's a reread, so I feel like it doesn't really count properly. But it is such a fantastic book. Except that I got the Norwegian edition, in which Anders Ribu almost constantly mispronounces the first name of one of the main characters (Mikael Blomkvist; he says 'Mikal') and that drives me up the wall. But it's fantastic. :-) And other than that he reads it very well indeed. :-)

No comments: