Friday, May 1, 2009

ISRAEL 2009: Noa & Mira – There Must Be Another Way

I had planned to go into a bit of depth on this post about the political background for the controversy around this song, and my thoughts on it, and what have you ... but I'm feeling worse again today, and I really don't think my brain is up to arguing much of anything today. So let's just say that there has been controversy, but for and against, that I am not entirely comfortable with Israeli participation in the ESC but there they are (and more on that later), and that I personally don't know enough about the background to this entry to judge whether it is a genuine effort to bridge certain chasms or whether it is in fact a situation where two young women are being exploited for some nefarious political gain.

I am, however, in a position to judge whether or not this song is any good. :-) And IMO, it's not. It's boring. The Israeli entry last year was pretty boring too, but the singer had a tremendous voice, and the presentation was quite striking. Noa & Mira, however - one Jewish, the other an Israeli Arab - aren't very good singers. They seem a little awkward on stage, and the song has an unremarkable melody and is less than catchy. While one may in theory applaud the effort, I have to say that to me this song is one big yawn. It fails entirely to distinguish itself on its own merits. I don't think we'll be seeing this on May 16th.

Others may disagree, of course, but hardly enough to make a difference. :-) This is Mira Awad and Noa performing There Must Be Another Way (Einaich) which they composed themselves along with some fellow called Gil Dor. They will be competing for Israel as #10 on May 12th.



Lyrics here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish they were good, because I love Israel, but you're right, these women suck. :(

Leisha Camden said...

Yeah. They may be hoping that people will like the song because of its political message, but this being the ESC, I'm afraid they'll be sorely disappointed on that score. >:-)

nona35 said...

This my second least favourite song this year and yes.... it's booooring!

Leisha Camden said...

And it gets more and more boring the more you hear it. Snooze ...